Job Title: Constituency Support Officer
Location: Luton LU1
Length of Contract: 12-month fixed term
Salary: £23,000 – £25,000 (in line with IPSA pay scales)
Closing Date: 11:59pm Sunday 15 October.
Rachel Hopkins MP is seeking a Constituency Support Officer to join her busy constituency office in Luton South. Working as part of a team, the successful candidate will support the smooth running of Rachel’s constituency office, including handling a large number of telephone enquiries, responding to constituents’ correspondence via phone, email and letter, alongside performing administrative tasks.
The role is offered on a full-time, 12 month fixed-term basis initially. Requests for part-time working will be considered, minimum 30 hours per week including Monday and Friday. Rachel strongly encourages applications from under-represented groups.
- Experience of working in an administrative/customer service role
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Good IT skills, including Microsoft Office
- Ability to work proactively, independently and as part of a team
- Attention to detail and ability to prioritise tasks and manage own workload
- Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Labour Party
- Good knowledge of the constituency (Luton South)
- Assist MP advice surgeries and other meetings and follow up as appropriate
- Attend constituency meetings as appropriate
- Critically analyse patterns of enquiries and articulate the findings in reports and communication with Rachel Hopkins MP and other staff members
- Deal with large numbers of standard queries, as well as assisting on more complex cases from members of the public by phone, email, social media or face to face. Ongoing communication may be required
- Draft responses to constituents
- Ensure records are kept and information managed confidentially in line with the data protection legislation
- Ensure that each case is dealt with promptly, sensitively, confidentially and accurately
- Follow up on social media queries and comments
- Gather relevant information to assist with resolving cases
- Log all cases; monitor progress and ensure all identified actions are taken
- Manage and monitor social media enquiries, dealing with cases that do not need to be transferred to a higher level. Ensure all enquiries are dealt with in a timely manner
- Retain records and information confidentially and in line with the Data Protection Act
- There may be a requirement for the role holder to work outside of the normal working hours and travel for work occasionally
- Any other administrative tasks to support the smooth running of the MP’s
constituency office and projects
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Deadline for applications is 11:59pm Sunday 15 October.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview.
Start date: as soon as possible
Applicants should send their CV and a one-page covering letter outlining how they meet the requirements of the role and person specification. This should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Constituency Support Officer Application” followed by your name.
If you have any questions about the role, please email or call 01582 457774.